Tried and True Recipes. I am always experimenting with recipes at home and most of my inspiration comes from the ones I love. This one (I will admit) my husband invented, I perfected, and is kid approved. This is a great vegetarian version of lasagne. Recipe is easy to prepare, ready in about 20 minutes, and can have many variations.
3 packages medium or firm organic tofu (sliced thin and drained on paper towels)
1 can homemade or storebought tomato sauce
1 head spinach (Washed and blanched in boiling water. Drain and squeeze out all liquid)
small bunch basil
mozzarella ( grate as much as you want)
nutritional large flake yeast (optional)
organic cherry or grape tomatoes (cut in half)
good quality olive oil
salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 425F
- Grab a large ovenproof dish and add a few tbsp of your tomato sauce to the bottom.
- Put down a layer of drained sliced tofu slices,sprinkle over a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Next add a layer of spinach, a few basil leaves, some grated cheese, and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast.
- Top with a few tbsp more of tomato sauce and repeat. You should get three layers.
- Finish on top with sauce, grated cheese, a drizzle of olive oil and some nicely placed halved tomatoes.
- Bake in oven till heated through, cheese is nice golden brown and bubbly.